Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Throwing salt on an open wound


So news of our extension has most likely made the rounds back home, and I'm sure most all of you are aware of the extra 4 months of fun in the sun that I've been blessed with. One of the first thing that comes to mind after hearing such news is that we'll all be missing 4 more months worth of exciting and fun events, some of which we were really looking forward to. I, for example, will be missing my Dad's wedding, my brother Jacob's high school graduation (after missing brother James' graduation last year also) and another couple months of summer fun, all of which I'll never get back. To top it all off came news today that one of my favorite bands of all time, Rage Against the Machine, is planning on reuniting for a show at this summer's Coachella music festival in Indio, California. The performance will be the band's first gig together since September 2000. I can say with 99% certainty that I would be making the trip out West if I was going to be home. I could also parlay that into a visit with my cousin Amanda, who is attending college in San Diego. Instead, I'll be here in Iraq, doing good things for my country. The sacrifices of war - they are plenty. Thankfully I have this blog to vent to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Understandable, Hammer.

Nikki's grandparents, Jim & Darlene, belong to our church and are neighbors to us in a round-about sort of way. We spoke Sunday about the extension and about you and Brent and how deployment interrupts a persons life.

I believe you were just returning from Bosnia when Brent finished AIT. I had gone with him to the freedom salute ceremony held on the drill floor when you all got back. I didn't know anyone from the unit, except for Chief Henderson and maybe a couple others. I've always been associated w/ my husbands unit, the 267th, who was deployed at that time. I know how you feel about missing those milestones that happen in a persons life that you never get back. Doug missed Meagan's graduation, Brent missed Emily's graduation last year so we had to make the best of it and I video-taped every possible minute of it that I could. Although I really sucked at the video camera!!! Just ask Brent! LOL.

While this is only the first deployment for some, it's the 2nd/3rd for others, and by far the longest. This will come to an end...try to keep your spirits up.

We share in your disappointment, and "listen" to your blogs.

Ma Beans

Sack said...

You need to update this thing.